By AIT Public Affairs
24 July 2023 – The Global Water & Sanitation Center (GWSC) at the Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand, and the Department of Public Health Engineering (DPHE), Bangladesh, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) aiming to strengthen cooperation between the two institutions for water and sanitation interventions in Bangladesh.
The MOU signing ceremony took place at the DPHE office in Dhaka, Bangladesh, on July 24. Through this agreement, the two institutions have committed to working together on several key initiatives:
1. Provide technical assistance support to water and sanitation improvement projects,
2. Contribute to the Government of Bangladesh’s target of transforming Digital to Smart Bangladesh 2041 thorugh public data systems,
3. Build capacity and research,
4. Provide technical assistance for the adoption of the transformative sanitation technologies,
5. Support the establishment of water and sanitation laboratory and other strategic activities.
The MOU was signed by AIT President Prof. Kazuo Yamamoto and DPHE Chief Engineer Mr. Md. Sarwar Hossai in the presence of GWSC Co-Directors, Prof. Sangam Shrestha and Prof. Thammarat Koottatep, and DPHE Additional Chief Engineer Director (Planning) Mr. Tushar Mohon Shadhu Khan.
The MOU is a significant milestone in the partnership between GWSC and DPHE. It is expected to have a far reaching impact on water and sanitation services in Bangladesh, aligning with Sustainable Development Goal 6 (SDG 6), which aims to ensure universal access to clean water and sustainable management of sanitation facilities.