Dr. Kavinda Gunasekara
Masters in Business Analytics and Digital Transformation, School of Management, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand, 2021.
Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of Tokyo, Japan, 2016.
Master of Science in Geographic Information Systems & Remote Sensing, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, 2010.
B.Sc. (Honors), Geology and Physics, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, 2006.
- Multi-hazard Risk Assessment
- Coastal and Land Monitoring
- Environment Analytics
- Digital Sustainability
- Digital Transformation
- Tajima, Y. Gunasekara, K. and Nguyen, H. (2018). Satellite-based Monitoring of Contrasting Characteristics of Suspended Sediments Discharged from the Red and the Ma River Systems along the Northern Coast of Vietnam. International Journal of Sediment Research, vol. 34, pp. 191-294 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsrc.2018.08.004).
- Gunasekara, K., Tajima, Y., Higashi, R., Le H. C., and Cuong, H. V. (2016). Satellite-based Monitoring of Behavior of Fine Sediment Discharged from the Rivers. Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, B2 (Coastal Eng.), vol.72, No.2, I_1753-I_1758
- Gunasekara, K., Tajima, Y., Le H. C., and Cuong, H. V., Hung, N. T. Hung, L. M. (2016). Satellite based monitoring of turbidity around Hai Phong Bay, Vietnam. Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, B3 (Ocean Eng.), vol. 72, No. 2, I_772-I_777 (https://doi.org/10.2208/jscejoe.72.I_772).
- Tajima, Y., Gunasekara, K., Shimozono, T. and Cruz, E. (2016). Study on locally varying inundation characteristics induced by super typhoon Haiyan. Part 1: Dynamic behavior of storm surge and waves around San Pedro Bay, Philippines. Coastal Engineering Journal, vol. 58, No. 1, 1640002-p1-29 (https://doi.org/10.1142/S0578563416400027).
- Tajima, Y., Shimozono, T., Gunasekara, K. and Cruz, E. (2016). Study on locally varying inundation characteristics induced by super typhoon Haiyan. Part 2: Deformation of Storm Waves on the Beach with Fringing Reef Along the East Coast of Eastern Samar. Coastal Engineering Journal, vol. 58, No. 1, 1640003-1-1640003-24 (https://doi.org/10.1142/S0578563416400039).
- Gunasekara, K., Tajima, Y. and Shimozono, T. (2014). Variation of impact along the east coast of Eastern Samar due to Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, B2 (Coastal Eng.), vol.70, No.2, p241-245 (https://doi.org/10.2208/kaigan.70.I_241).
- Developing of Innovative Tools for Agro-Ecological Zoning in Support to Sustainable and Resilient Agriculture, as Co-Principal Investigator under FAO funding.
- Climate projects under FAO Strengthening Agro-climatic Monitoring and Information System (SAMIS) Project in Lao PDR under GEF funding as Principal Investigator
- Phase-I: Development of Capacity and Implementation of Modelling for the Preparation of Data for a Climate Atlas under SAMIS (GEF) project in Lao PDR.
- Phase-II: Development of Capacity and Implementation of Modelling for the Preparation of Data for a Climate Atlas under SAMIS Project.
- Phase-III: Development of capacity and implementation of modelling for Future Climate Projections under SAMIS Project.
- Promotion of action against marine plastic litter in Asia and the Pacific” (CounterMEASURE I & II), as Principal Investigator under UNEP funding.
- Risk assessment of six natural hazards at the district level in Tajikistan, as Deputy Team Leader under UNDP funding.
- Disaster Risk Assessment of Uttarakhand, as Remote Sensing Expert and Spatial Modeler under World Bank funding.