Prof. Kyoko Kusakabe
Gender and Development Studies, Department of Development and Sustainability
AREA OF EXPERTISE
SELECTED RESEARCH PROJECTS
Ph.D. in Gender and Development Studies, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand
Master in Rural and Regional Development and Planning, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand
Bachelor of English language and studies, Sophia University, Tokyo, Japan
- Gender and Development
- Labor Migration
- Women in the informal economy
- Unpaid work
- Gender issues in fisheries and aquaculture
- Gender assessment of development projects
- Pearson, Ruth and Kyoko Kusakabe (2012) Thailand’s Hidden Workforce: Burmese Migrant Women Factory Workers, London: Zed Books.
- Kusakabe, Kyoko (ed.) (2012) Gender, road and mobility in Asia, London: Practical Action Publishing.
- Lund, Ragnhild, Kyoko Kusakabe, Nitya Rao and Nireka Weeratunge (eds) (2020) Fisherfolk in Cambodia, India and Sri Lanka: Migration, gender and well-being, Routledge.
- Lund, Ranghild, Kyoko Kusakabe, Smita Mishra Panda, Wang Yunxian (eds) (2014) Gender, mobilities, and iveihood transformations: Comparing indigenous people in China, Laos, and India, London: Routledge.
- Veena, N and Kyoko Kusakabe (2021) “Negotiating social location as a workplace strategy: Gorkhali women migrant domestic workers and South Asian employers in Bangkok”, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies
- Kusakabe, Kyoko and Chanthavisith Chanthoumphone (2021) “Transition from subsistence agriculture to rubber plantations in Northern laos: Analysis of household livelihood strategies by ethnicity and gender”, Sage Open 11:2, 1-13.
- Kusakabe, Kyoko, Khamnuan Khuenta, Tiwaporn Hemsakul, Veena N. (2019) “Building a home away from home: Housing choices of labor migrants in Thailand”, Migration and Development, 8:2, 176-191.
- Kusakabe, Kyoko and Aye Chan Myae (2019) “Precarity and Vulnerability Under Expansion of Rubber Plantation in Northern Laos and Northern Shan State”, Journal of Contemporary Asia 49:4, 586-601.
- Kusakabe, Kyoko and Ruth Pearson (2016) “Working through exceptional space: the case of women migrant workers in Mae Sot, Thailand”, International sociology, 31:3, 268-285.
- Kusakabe, Kyoko and Ruth Pearson (2013) “Cross-border childcare strategies of Burmese migrant workers in Thailand”, Gender, place and culture, 20:8, 960-978.
- Women and men in small-scale fisheries and aquaculture in Asia: Barriers, constraints and opportunities towards equality and secure livelihoods, FAO (2020-2021)
- Capacity building of gender and development studies at Yangon University of Economics, IDRC Canada (2018-2020)
- Jobs at the border: women’s employment in ASEAN’s economic zones, IDRC Canada (2016-2018)
- Integration of migrants and socia policy isues: Reflections from Japan, Korea and Thailand towards creation of inclusive society, Toyota Foundation (2015-2016).
- Gendered impact of cross-border agricultural investment: Case of rubber plantations in Northern Laos, Myanmar and cambodia, Stockholm Environment Institute (2014-2017).