Outreach event on the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report key findings and their relevance to Asia
Organised and hosted by the SMARTS Center of the Asian Institute of Technology with the participation of the IPCC
Date: 28th April 2023, Time: 9:00am – 5:00pm,
Venue: Pullman Bangkok Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok
SMARTS Center (South-east Asia Multidisciplinary Applied Research Network on Transforming Societies of Global South) at SERD/AIT Thailand (https://www.smartscenter.org/) focuses on the impact of climate change and other socio-technical global changes in transforming societies in South and South-East Asia from a multidisciplinary perspective and influence global discourse by promoting scientific voices from global South highlighting unique challenge, equity, justice and regional niches in line with multiple Sustainable Development Goals. One of its objectives is knowledge creation and Outreach through expert consultation for decision and policy support.
This IPCC Outreach event: Climate change: resilience, transformation, and equity is organised by SMARTS Centre to help in
● Communicating the main results of IPCC Sixth Assessment Report focusing on messages relevant for Thailand.
● Engage with the regional climate research and practitioner community, government, policymakers, decision makers, businesses, civil society organisation, climate activists. This event will take place immediately after the IPCC Scenario workshop- a closed door workshop- that will summarise recent history of modelling efforts, identify known gaps and opportunities, ensure workshop participants have a shared understanding (and terminology) when discussing models and model outputs for model intercomparisons, and a way forward to Seventh Assessment Cycle (AR7).
This outreach event has four themes:
● In Theme 1, the session will provide a high-level summary of the understanding of the current state of the climate, the state of knowledge about possible climate futures, climate information relevant to regions and sectors, climate change impacts and risks as well as adaptation.
● In Theme 2, the session will elaborate on the pathways to achieve equity and just transition in various sectors.
● In theme 3, the session will discuss the need for urgent action and the enablers that can help in accelerating climate actions.
● The last session- Communication and Policy will focus on how to communicate climate related messages to satisfy the needs of various stakeholders.