Dr. Philippe Doneys
Ph.D. International Relations, 2003 “Mention très honorable avec les félicitations du jury à l’unanimité”(summa cum laude)
Institut d’Études Politiques de Paris (SciencesPo), Paris, France
M.A. in South East Asian studies, Major in Political Science, Minor in Vietnamese, 1994
School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London, England
Honors B.A. in International Development Studies, Major in Political Economy, 1992
University of Toronto, Canada
- Gender Politics, Empowerment and Human Rights
- Migration and Human Security
- Gender, Health and HIV
- Philippe Doneys, Kyoko Kusakabe, Joyee S. Chatterjee, Soe Myat Tun, Khin Cho Myint., & Franque Grimard. (2023). Pathways to Politics for Women Parliamentarians in Myanmar. Journal of Asian and African Studies, 0(0). https://doi.
- Philippe Doneys and Bernadette P. Resurreccion (2022), Gendered Pathways of Democracy to Sustainability, in Bornemann, Basil, Knappe, Henrike and Nanz, Patrizia (eds) Routledge Handbook of Democracy and Sustainability, Abingdon: Routledge.
- Uddhav Prasad Guragain and Philippe Doneys (2022), Social, Economic, Environmental, and Physical Vulnerability Assessment: An Index-Based Gender Analysis of Flood Prone Areas of Koshi River Basin in Nepal, Sustainability, 14, 10423. https://doi.org/10.
- Changhui Song, Joyee Shairee Chatterjee, Donna L. Doane, Philippe Doneys (2021), Men in Mixed-Orientation Marriages in Contemporary China: Unpacking the Role of Heteronormativity and Patriarchy, in Journal of Family Issues, online.
- Marc Völker and Philippe Doneys (2020), Empowerment as One Sees It: Assessment of Empowerment by Women Participants of Development Projects in Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam, Development in Practice.
- Bastakoti, Geeta Bhatrai and Philippe Doneys, (2020). Gendered perceptions of climate variability, food insecurity, and adaptation practices in Nepal, Climate and Development, Volume 12, 2020 – Issue 6, 547-563.
- Philippe Doneys, Donna Doane, Sina Norm (2019), Seeing empowerment as relational: Lessons from women participating in development projects in Cambodia, Development in Practice, https://doi.org/10.1080/09614524.2019.1678570
- Farid Safi and Philippe Doneys (2019), Exploring the Influence of Family level and Socio-demographic Factors on Women’s Decision-making Ability over Access to Reproductive Health Care Services in Balkh Province, Afghanistan, Health Care for Women International. https://doi.
- Farha Naz, Philippe Doneys, Shahab E. Saqib (2018), Adaptation strategies to floods: A gender-based analysis of the farming- dependent char community in the Padma floodplain, Bangladesh, International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2017.12.016
- Rajan Parajuli, Philippe Doneys (2017), Exploring the role of telemedicine in improving access to healthcare services by women and girls in rural Nepal, Telematics and Informatics 34 (2017) 1166–1176. (recipient of the Elsevier Atlas award for most impactful paper of December 2017, out of over 3000 journals. The ceremony took place at AIT with Elsevier and the AIT president) Scopus citation=3, Google Scholar Citations=5
- Lorina Sthapit and Philippe Doneys, “Roles and experiences of female Maoist combatants during and after the People’s War in Nepal”, in Peace Research Institute of Oslo (eds.), Women’s Participation in Conflict Resolution in South Asia, Routledge 2017.
- Aurangzaib Alizai, Philippe Doneys and Donna L. Doane (2016), Impact of Gender Binarism on Hijras’ Life Course and their Access to Fundamental Human Rights in Pakistan, Journal of Homosexuality, 2016, DOI: 10.1080/00918369.2016.1242337
- Duanghathai Buranajaroenkij, Philippe Doneys, Kyoko Kusakabe and Donna Doane, Expansion of Women Political Space through the Red and Yellow Shirt Movements in Thailand, Journal of Asian and African Studies, 2016, pp.1-15.
- Phuong Pham and Philippe Doneys, “Changing Livelihoods, Gender Roles and Gender Hierarchies: the Impact of Climate, Regulatory and Social Changes on Women and Men in a Co Tu Community in Vietnam”, Women Studies International Forum, Volume 54, January–February 2016, Pages 48–56.
- Ragnhild Lund, Philippe Doneys and Bernadette Resurreccion (eds.), Gender Entanglements: Revisiting Gender in a Rapidly Changing Asia, Copenhagen: NIAS Press, 2015.
- “Understanding Barriers and Working Pathways to Women’s Political Participation in Myanmar”, AIT with GEN Myanmar, McGill University (Co-PI, with K. Kusakabe, J. Chatterjee), 2018-2021, Donor IDRC. 1,700,000 baht
- “Do policy makers understand the economic and social issues affecting low income women in four Mekong countries? (Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam), 2013- 2016.”Project Investigator: Dr. Philippe Doneys, Sponsor: AusAID, Total Contracted Amount (THB): 23,168,000 (767,000 Aus $)
- “Services on conducting a qualitative study on masculinities and gender-based violence in Bangladesh” Duration 01 September 2011 – 31 October 2013 Project Investigator: Dr. Philippe Doneys Sponsor: UNDP Total Contracted Amount (USD): 37,800
- Re-visiting Gender in Development: Complex Inequalities in Changing Asia (AIT Component) Duration 04-2011-04-2014 Project investigator: Dr. Bernadette Resurreccion and Dr. Philippe Doneys (co-PIs) Source: Norwegian Research Council Total Contracted Amount (USD): 250,000
- Lost in Translation? Gender and Economic Empowerment in the Greater Mekong Sub-Region Re-visiting Gender in Development: Complex Inequalities in Changing Asia (AIT Component) Duration 04-2011-04-2014 Project investigator: Dr. Philippe Doneys, Source: Norwegian Research Council Total Contracted Amount (USD): 35,000
- “Responding to the Feminization of AIDS: Gender Power Dynamics in Marriage and Serodiscordant Relationships – Implications for practice, Thailand” Duration 01 June 2010 – 31 April 2011 Project Investigator: Dr. Philippe Doneys Sponsor: UNIFEM Total Contracted Amount (THB): 1,600,000